Saturday, July 17, 2010

Hand Milled Soap

Today I made a batch of hand milled soap. I opted for a rosemary-lavender scented soap with some oatmeal. This is the second time I have made this recipe. I just love the smell of the this combo!

To start off you will need 2-3 bars of plain unscented soap. I used the homemade soap my mom and I made last summer. You will also need 1/4 cup of coconut oil and 1/2 cup of water.

You will need a mold. The best kind are made of plastic and containers you don't use anymore. I have an old storage container, PVC piping, and a silicone bread pan I picked up at a garage sale. Grease the container you wish to use.
For the additives I used 3 tablespoons of oatmeal, 1 tablespoon of each dried rosemary and dried lavender flowers. I used my little food processor to grind them up.
Add the soap, oil, and water to a bowl that can be heated. Place bowl over a pot of water and heat until melted. Try not to stir too much cause that will cause air bubbles.

Once melted take the bowl off the heat and stir in the oatmeal/rosemary/lavender mixture. When that is mixed add about 5 drops of each rosemary and lavender essential oils. The amounts you add of the additives can vary to your own preference.

I then placed the soap into my mold, covered, and stuck it in my freezer. In a few hours I will take it out. Hopefully it will be frozen and I can remove it from the mold. At this time I can cut the soap into the size bars I want. This will help them dry faster.

Technically the soap is ready to use. Since this is hand milled soap, it is not caustic. However it will need time to dry out. If you use to soon it will turn to mush once it gets wet. Give it a few weeks or a month to completely dry.

This evening I took my soap out of the freezer. I was able to easily push it out of the mold. I then cut into individual pieces and wrapped in wax paper. It smells great and I can't wait to use it!









1 comment:

  1. Awesome directions for soap making. And if anyone is interested we are hoping to make another batch of unscented lye soap the first week in August when I am on vacation, at Emily's house.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget