Friday, July 16, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

{Update}
With the desire to not have to wait a day for this soap to set(laundry NEEDED to be done LIKE YESTERDAY).  I came upon the powder version.  I added a few extras to it, for I feel I have dirty clothes from kids who like to play in dirt all day long.

1 bar of soap(finely grated)
 (I still use fels naptha.  For an added luxury you could use a soap like Dr. Bonners.)
1 1/2 cup borax
11/2 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda (my addition)


Mix it all up and place in a container.  It takes up much less space, can be made instantly, and no water mess!  I do like the fact that I can stock up on these ingredients and when I suddenly find my laundry soap is gone(cause you know how that ALWAYS sneaks up on you) I can whip up more soap!

I still like using vinegar for my fabric softener and hanging my clothes on the line if time and weather permits.  Something about the process of hanging the clothes on the line that makes a person slow down and enjoy life.



I haven't been up to anything too crafty. Mainly I have been working on my gardening. It took me all day but my blueberry bushes are planted! I also had to do some rearranging with my strawberry plants. I now have nice wide rows in the hopes for really nice size plants next year. I decided I would like my fence that bordered my garden to go farther down. I have that all roped off with plans for another trellis in that area. Now what to plant on that trellis?
Besides gardening I did make some more laundry soap. I thought I would share the recipe.

You will need Fels Naptha soap, washing soda, borax, water, 2 gallon bucket for mixing, and a container for storing.

Grate 1/3 of the bar of soap.
Take grated soap and 6 cups of water and heat until soap is melted.
Add 1/2 cup of borax and 1/2 cup of washing soda.
Stir until dissolved.
Remove from heat.
Pour 4 cups of water into bucket.
Add soap mixture and stir.
Add 1 gallon + 6 cups of water to bucket and stir.
Let set for about 24hrs.
Use about 1/2 cup per load.
Note: The soap will be a bit clumpy. You will need to make sure to shake before you use.





**update: I have found some variations to this laundry soap recipe.  I have been adding a 1/2 cup of baking soda.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget