Sunday, July 11, 2010

July 2010 Northern Adventure

Our sisters trip to the Acres of Faith country home of Emily and Travis was a great success. Travis and Emily scouted out blueberry picking spots and led us to the mother load. They are exceptionally great hosts and sent us home with home made jams and canned fruit. I have not been blueberry picking for several years and each trip into the forest reminded me of our adventures of years ago with Aunt Doris at the lead. My friend Carol laughs every time she remembers being invited to join us with Aunt Marlys in the driver seat of a new Suburban and Doris as shot gun with her cig and beer. The logging trails were never impassable, we always just drove around or over obstacles. I think that my memories of those adventures shape my enthusiasm for blueberries.

My other blueberry memories include wood ticks, deer fly, and poison ivy. They never seemed to diminish my motivation to gather berries.

We shared our favorite Blueberry Muffin recipe with Emily. Her children seemed to enjoy them - Anthony reported he ate six at last count. The recipe is an original from Mom's Betty Crocker cookbook. It was entitled the Sweet Muffins - Preheat over to 375. Mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt in one bowl and blend with a spoon. Add 1 cup of blueberrys to the bowl with the flour mixture and stir. In another bowl, mix 1/2 c milk, 1/4 cup oil, 1 egg (blend well with fork). Make a well in the dry mix and add the liquids, blending until just mixed - the batter should not be over mixed. Divide the mixture into 12 greased muffin cups. Bake for 15-18 minutes.

I promised to share my Breakfast Cookie Recipe with Karla and others may enjoy it also, but that will be my next blog.

Thanks again Emily. I love you and your entire family.

Tha

2 comments:

  1. Anthony had the rest of the bowl gone by the afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can just see that car heading down the old roads!Karen

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget