Thursday, July 22, 2010

Zucchini

It's that time of year for harvesting zucchini. It's always so much fun at first. Picking those small green summer squash. They taste so good cooked on the grill with a little salt and pepper. Pretty soon though you find yourself up to your ears in the BIG green summer squash. Yes, after awhile you quit picking and it can get HUGE. That's when baking zucchini bread starts. I personally try to only plant two zucchini plants. I find this still gives me way more than I need, and I give a lot away. I have a friend who in her first year of gardening, planted the whole seed packet!! It was too funny. We would place bags of our zucchini in her car for her to find after work. We also always made sure to ask her if she needed any more zucchini. Some do say to always beware of abandoned zucchini on your doorstep in the month of August.
I would like to know if any of you have any recipes for zucchini?
I just got done baking with my first picked zuke(it was pretty big cause it actually went unnoticed). I made chocolate zucchini cupcakes.
**Warning, this recipe is really for chocolate lovers(thankfully I have a 13 yr old boy who LOVES chocolate). It wouldn't hurt to serve with a cup of cold milk or a hot cup of coffee.

You will need:

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tsp of vanilla
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup chocolate chips
2 cups flour
1 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 and prepare muffin tins. (This recipe should make 9 large cupcakes or 24 regular cupcakes)
Mix together sugar, butter and oil. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Stir in vanilla, buttermilk, zucchini, and chocolate chips.
In separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add liquid mixture and mix until well combined. Pour into muffin tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes.

(This is where I found the recipe in case I made a mistake in copying)
http://http//www.101cookbooks.com/archives/000281.html

I am hoping soon to make a homemade Alfredo sauce to serve with all these fresh zukes and other veggies. Just need to wait for some more broccoli(it'd help if I didn't have one child who loved to eat it right from the garden!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget