Friday, November 19, 2010

Lefse-a traditional soft Norwegian flatbread(wikipedia)

    
      With the holidays fast approaching, tomorrow is lefse making day at my house.  I almost forgot I needed to get this done before Thanksgiving.  Not sure where my head was.  As long as I can remember lefse with butter and sugar has always been at the holiday tables.  I was crazy enough when I was young to not even like the stuff.  Not sure what I was thinking, pretty sure I wasn't.
      A few years back I purchased the equipment for lefse making.  It was a good investment in a family tradition.  My kids love the stuff!  They are very excited about tomorrow.  Justin has been waiting for this day since about July when I had pulled out one last Ziploc bag of lefse from the freezer.  What a treat that had been.  Tomorrow though will be so much better when it is warm off the griddle(instead of thawed from the freezer).
      The recipe is as follows(from my Grandma Boe)
   10 lbs of white potatoes
Boil
Mash with 2 cups of heavy whipping cream and 1/2 lb. of butter
Let stand overnight.  Do not refrigerate, put a towel over the kettle, make a well in the center so it will cool better.
Go to bed.
The next day rice the potatoes into cake pans.
To each cake pan add 2 Tbsp sugar and 1 Tbsp salt and 3 cups of sifted flour(more or less)
Sift the flour 1 cup at a time into the pan and mix gently with your hands(you don't want the mixture to be stiff).  The amount of flour you need will depend on how moist your potatoes are.
Roll into a log.
Cut enough off to be about 1/4 cup
Form into pillows
Roll pillow as thin as possible
(flour board often)
Cook on griddle
Layout a large dish towel over a large cooling rack, then 2 layers of wax paper to cover towel, then another towel.  Stack lefse in between the waxed paper, about 12-14 rounds per stack.  Be sure they are well covered.
Cool completely before folding and freezing.

2 comments:

  1. To add to the directions. You rice 5lb of potatoes into a cake pan and add the 3 cups of flour and salt. Realized this was part of the recipe when we made it last week. Also, 5 lb of potatoes make approx 36 rounds of lefse. Have fun. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that added info. I was wondering about that.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget