Saturday, January 8, 2011

Homemade Granola


With the cold weather around for awhile.  What couldn't be better than homemade granola on top of yogurt with some of those berries saved from summer picking?  It's also a wonderful treat in the summer with the fresh berries, of course.

I had found this recipe in the paper a few years ago.  I have tweaked it many times to fit with what I had on hand.

Recipe as follows:
4 cups oats
1 cup chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, whatever...I often use a combo of 2)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup ground flax (have seen wheat germ also added)
1 cup coconut (I'll be honest I have never added this.....not popular in my house)
1/2 cup sesame seeds (another confession, I ALWAYS forget to buy this one....so I add a few more sunflower seeds)
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup molasses (I have used maple syrup instead of molasses and got good reviews)
1/2 vegetable oil (try safflower oil)
1 T vanilla

In a large bowl, blend dry ingredients.  Gently heat honey, molasses, and oil in sauce pan.  Add vanilla.
Blend dry ingredients well with liquid.  Spread on a large cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.  Let cool(it will harden).  Store in air tight container.

Some tips-
-Use old fashioned rolled oats.  They are bigger.
-Measure oil in glass measuring cup, then use the same cup for the honey and molasses.  The sticky ingredients will easily roll out of the oily cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget