Monday, February 14, 2011

Easy As Pie...

Sweets for My Sweethearts

I don't know who coined the expression 'easy as pie'. I mean, I think it is easy to eat pie. But make it? From scratch? Causes me consternation. I'm all good with the goop, whatever it may be... it is the crust that I have trouble with. I have tried many recipes, have made the pastry by hand, in my mixer and in a food processor. I have found that I am most successful with the Pate Brise recipe from Martha Stewart prepared in the food processor. So, I make a good buttery pastry. My real trouble is rolling out a circle-like crust and transporting it into a pie-plate.

Well, I have decided there is a way I can avoid making pies. Instead I've been making galettes, or rustic pies. They have just one crust that you can fold over the fruit filling. After folding over the fruit that is tossed with a little sugar, salt and corn starch, you dot the fruit with little pieces of butter, fold up the dough, brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle with a coarse sugar (I use turbinado sugar). I will attach links to Martha's recipes after my pictures! I have adapted Martha's pear recipe to make a strawberry galette, an apple, and now a peach galette--the pear galette is delicious, too!

For Valentine's Day today I made a peach galette.... It was fantastic... an easy way to make an 'almost pie' and you don't need quite as much fruit!

For some reason I can't quite figure out, my pictures are in the wrong order and this bloggy thingie isn't being very cooperative in reversing them:



The first picture shows the finished product, the second picture shows with the egg wash and sanding sugar, the third picture shows the pie crust wrapped up and the first one is a good display at my poor rolling pin skills!

Here's Martha's Galette Recipe:

Here's the Galette Recipe:


Serves 8
  • All-purpose flour, for work surface
  • 1/2 recipe Pate Brisee
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 4 large ripe pears, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 1/2 pounds)
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 large egg
  • Sanding sugar, for sprinkling
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 3 tablespoons apricot jam

Directions

  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
  2. Sprinkle work surface with flour. Roll out dough to a 14-inch round, about 1/4-inch thick. Transfer dough to prepared baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 1 hour.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch, sugar and salt. In a large bowl gently toss together pears and cornstarch mixture until evenly coated. Mound pear mixture on top of dough, leaving a 4-inch border all the way around. Fold dough over pear mixture, overlapping where necessary and gently pressing to adhere the folds. Transfer galette to refrigerator and let chill, 20 to 30 minutes
  4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a small bowl, beat egg. Brush edges of dough with egg, and sprinkle edges with sanding sugar. Dot top of galette with butter. Transfer to oven and bake until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 1 hour.
  5. Meanwhile, place apricot jam in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until heated through; strain through a mesh sieve set over a bowl. Remove baking sheet from oven and transfer to a wire rack; brush heated jam over pears. Let cool briefly before serving warm or at room temperature.


Read more at Marthastewart.com: Pear Galette - Martha Stewart Recipes

And here's the Pate Brise (pie crust) recipe link:

Here's the Pate Brise Recipe:

Makes two 8- to 10-inch single-crust pies or one 8- to 10-inch double-crust pie
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut in pieces
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water

Directions

  1. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and process for a few seconds to combine. Add the butter, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. With the machine running, add the ice water in a slow, steady stream, through the feed tube, just until the dough holds together. Do not process for more than 30 seconds.
  2. Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide in two. Place each half on a sheet of plastic wrap. Flatten, and form two discs. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.


Read more at Marthastewart.com: Pate Brisee - Martha Stewart Recipes

1 comment:

  1. Looks Yummy!
    I get frustrated with pictures too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget