Monday, April 11, 2011

Is Your Rhubarb Ready?

(Made my first batch of the year today 5/23/2011)

Rhubarb Ruminations

Each June brings the annual Rhubarb Festival to Leif Erickson Park in Duluth, my fair city. It involves a scary rhubarb-man, an outdoor stage, a recipe contest, a biggest leaf contest, crafts for kids and... the best thing? Rhubarb-Lemonades, each complete with a skinny rhubarb stalk that has been peeled into strings on one end and dipped into sugar. Oh, I can feel that tangy sweetness in the back of my throat just thinking about it. Making the key ingredient of this delight, a rhubarb concentrate, seemed like a great way to use our plethora of rhubarb.

The real red rhubarb works best for this as it gives your concentrate a nice color. I make a large batch and have two quarts of the concentrate in the fridge. It is amazing added to iced-tea(black tea), or you can just mix it with ginger ale or soda water for a nice fizzy drink. Serve it with a couple o' mint leaves and it approaches summer perfection! I find the concentrate keeps in the fridge for about 2 weeks, but I've also frozen it in ice cube trays and then transfered the cubes into ziplocks for freezer storage for out-of-season reminders of the loveliness of summer. You could also preserve this concentrate by canning it. Enjoy! (I'll add a photo after my rhubarb is up and running and I get my first batch cookin') (Done!)

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 12 cups rhubarb pieces
  • 4 cups water
  • 2 lemons
  • 1 orange
  • 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar

Place rhubarb pieces and water in large pot. Add water and grated rind of the lemon and orange. Bring to a boil. Boil 10 to 15 minutes, until rhubarb is a thick mixture with no chunks left. Remove from heat. Strain.

Add the juice from the lemon and orange. Rinse the pot and put rhubarb juice into it. Add sugar. bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Turn off heat.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Michelle. Can't wait to cook up a batch. Karla

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget