Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Homemade Lip Balm


I was scrolling thru the Martha Stewart Handmade gift ideas and came upon lip balm.


It takes two ingredients.
Beeswax
Carrier Oil
(and optional essential oil and coloring)

I thought, I have that stuff!  I'll give it a try. (For the record this stuff is pretty easy to find and inexpensive!)
It did not take long to gather my stuff and make it.

For the carrier oil I used coconut oil and I added a few drops of peppermint oil.

Set up a double broiler with a pot of water and a glass bowl that will fit on top.
Heat water.

Take 1 Tbls. of beeswax
2 Tbls. of coconut oil

Place in bowl and melt. 
(This doesn't take long because its such a small amount.)

 When it was melted I turned off the heat, added my peppermint oil quickly, and poured into a container.
I used a 4 oz. jelly jar.

Reading some comments from the site they say you can find small tin containers in the wedding favor section at your craft store.  I'll have to check it out!

That's it!  It was easy and quick.  And you actually know what you are about to put on your lips!

It would also make a very nice handmade gift for someone!


*Update June 14, 2012*

I found that I preferred my lip balm to have a little more staying power.  Using coconut oil gave the balm more of a lip gloss feel(nothing wrong with that just not what I was going for).  At least that was my opinion.

I made a batch of lip balm using coco butter as my carrier oil.  I LOVED it!!  However since it is a firmer balm you really had to dig to get some out of the jar.

I have read numerous people rave about a company Mountain Rose Herbs.  As I was checking it out for some essential oils I came across some lip balm tubes.
These tubes are perfect for my handmade lip balm made with coco butter!!




I happen to randomly order 5 tubes, and one batch of lip balm filled 5 tubes!


Reminder of recipe:
1 Tbls. Beeswax
2 Tbls. Coco butter (or any carrier oil you prefer)
Few drops of an essential oil (*optional, I love using peppermint!)

Melt wax and oil in a double boiler setup.  When melted take off heat and add essential oils.  Pour into containers.





























21 comments:

  1. I know who you could make some for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what a great idea! I'm totally going to make this :) happy new follower!!! looking forward to more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I'm literally addicted to lip balm, I should make some, I'd save a fortune! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like using natural products and coconut oil has so many wonderful uses, whether for cooking or on your body. Looking forward to trying this frugal recipe out!

    Erin @ Carolina Country Living
    (visiting from Transformation Thursday - link #17)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using this balm for a few days, I really like it! This small quantity does make a lot of balm for one person. I need to go look for smaller containers to fit in a purse.
    I am thinking the next time I try the recipe I might use cocoa butter. I bet that will smell wonderful! Especially with the mint!
    Thanks for stopping everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh, I need to try that! thoe would be sweet gifties for my chapstick addicted friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great ideas! I love finding products that I already have, making them new and using them! Economical, environmental and economically responsible. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so easy. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, thanks for sharing this!! Can't wait to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a neat recipe. Thank you for posting it. This is a must try for me. Seeing how the cold is coming.
    Have a great Holiday

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is perfect:) I am seriously loving your post! It is so informative and I think my subscribers would really enjoy reading this. I would love for you to come share it at Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on Frugally Sustainable (http://frugallysustainable.blogspot.com/2011/11/frugal-days-sustainable-ways-2.html). I really hope that you will put Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways on your list of carnivals to visit and link to each Wednesday!

    Warmly,
    Andrea @ Frugally Sustainable
    Here's the link: http://www.frugallysustainable.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! :) I'd love to have you share it on Wildcrafting Wednesday, I'm sure my readers would love it! :)

    Thanks!
    ~ Kathy @ Mind Body and Sole

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for linking up this awesome idea to my Friday party.. hope you come back this week! And check out my TinyPrints giveaway too :)

    Friday link up and features!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lookie there!
    Your post was featured in our Friday FREE-FOR-ALL Linky Party!

    You can see it at http://www.cookingatcafed.com/2011/12/friday-free-for-all-linky-party-120211.html

    All the best,
    ~ Dana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there! I simply wish to offer you a big thumbs up for
    the great information you have right here on this
    post. I will be returning to your website for more soon.

    Look into my blog post comparing cars insurance

    ReplyDelete
  16. When someone writes an paragraph he/she retains
    the thought of a user in his/her mind that how a user can know it.
    Thus that's why this article is great. Thanks!

    My web blog: home insurance online

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget