Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Dutch Oven Bread

It's cold here today, and only suppose to get colder.  A nice hot bowl of soup with a side of crusty bread sounded in order.  
I found a few bread recipes that you bake in your dutch oven and they sounded yummy(dutch ovens give you crust bread)!  They were no knead breads though.  To make it I would need to let dough sit for 6-8 hours(or overnight).  I didn't have that kind of time(though it did look like something I want to try sometime).  Then I stumbled upon this nice little post on making a basic bread in your dutch oven.  I was excited!

Now, I am a VERY novice break maker.  I don't even mix or knead it myself.  The bread machine does that.  I can tell you what I did and how it turned out.  Any other questions, you're on your own.

Ingredients:
Package of active dry yeast
1 1/3 cup warm water
3 1/2 cups all purposed flour
2 tsp. salt
pinch or two of sugar

First I mixed my yeast and warm water together and let them sit.  While that was sitting I dumped the flour, salt and sugar in my bread machine.  I had seen a post on herb bread and thought that would be fun to try, so I dumped some herbs in there(fennel, thyme, oregano....the fennel was the kicker!!).  I then hit the dough setting on the machine and left the kitchen.  I just love that about the machine : )

(You can do this without a bread machine of course, just takes more of your time.  The link above gives you by hand instructions.)

Dough ball rubbed down with some olive oil.

When the dough is done.  I turned the oven up to 400 degrees.  I greased my dutch oven a bit and rubbed olive oil around my dough ball.  I then cut a few slits on top of the dough.

Few slits cut on top.

Place cover on the dutch oven and place in oven.  Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees then remove the lid.
Continue baking for another 15 minutes or until your bread is brown.
Take out and cool.


mmmmmmmmmm


Yummy dutch oven herb bread with wild rice soup.
It was the perfect bread for our creamy soup on a COLD night!!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget