Friday, February 3, 2012

Seed stitches and neck warmers

  I love my neck warmer so so much.  I feel I need to share with others!  


When I decided to make this one.  I thought I should do something different than just use the garter stitch.


Yeah, nothing like challenging yourself during the holiday season.  It wouldn't be right to just play it safe and do something you know you can do, would it?


The seed stitch isn't hard.  You knit, purl, knit, purl.  The problem for me was getting distracted and forgetting what I had just done!
When I first looked up how to seed stitch.  I found these instructions:

Cast on an even number of stitches.
Row 1: Knit, Purl, repeat until end
Row 2: Purl, Knit, repeat until end
Repeat Row 1 and 2

I was constantly forgetting, did I just knit that or purl?  What stitch did I start with?  I would try to figure it out by looking at my stitches but I personally had a hard time with that....might have been those distractions?


After I kept messing up I came across another set of instructions for seed stitch.

Cast on an ODD number of stitches
Row 1: Knit, Purl, repeat until end
Row 2: Knit, Purl, repeat until end.
Repeat Row 1 and 2

Oh man, was that easier!  When I got distracted I could go back to my work and actually figure out where I left off(yes, I am a newbie at knitting in case you were wondering).



For this neck warmer I used size 13 needles.
Cast on 41 stitches.
Knit, Purl, repeat.
Do this for every row until it is the width you would like.
Cast off.
Sew ends together.


The yarn for this project was Premier Yarns Deborah Norville Collection Serenity Chunky weight.
Color "Cloud Dancer".  I used about 1 and 1/4 skeins.  It is nice and chunky.   Maybe if one did a cast on of say 30 stitches you could get it the desired width and use just one skein?  Just a thought.  I plan on making a matching headband with my leftovers.
Pin ItPublish Post

3 comments:

  1. I notice when I'm knitting I have a terrible time remembering where I am at too. I've found keeping a notebook/journal to keep track of the row/stitch helps greatly. Often I just use a scratch piece of paper. I'm not one for coming up with stuff on my own, I research tons of patterns...(I'm just not creative like that.)...so writing it down is a lifesaver for me. The last scarf I made was seed stitch with some cables thrown in, and if I hadn't kept track I never would have finished it without screwing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For past projects I have written down where I left off. That does help a ton. However, during this project the distractions were just too many, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking for this info for a while. After 6 hours of continuous Googleing, finally I got it in your site. I wonder what's the lack of Google strategy that do not rank this type of informative sites in top of the list. Normally the top sites are full of garbage.
    Mitre Soccer Fast Folding Goal (Steel, 6x3-Feet)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget