Friday, June 29, 2012

Blueberry Scones


I tried something new with my blueberries.  Blueberry scones.  It is delicious!  
Scones remind me of a cross between biscuits and muffins.  They are easy to whip up in the morning.
They are my new crush.

I found this recipe on good old pinterest.  The recipe came from the blog Always with Butter Blog.

I figured it had to me a good recipe with "Always with Butter" the name of the blog.



Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Combine in a bowl the following:
1 1/2 c.flour
1/2 c. cake flour
3 T. sugar
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt

Cut in 1 stick of cold cubed butter.  Mixture should get crumbly.

*Stir in 1 cup of blueberries.

In a separate bowl combine 
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Gently mix this into flour mixture.

Mixture will be a bit sticky so have extra flour ready.

Place mixture on a floured surface and softly fold.
Pat into a circle about an inch thick(I like them a bit thinner) and cut into wedges.
You can sprinkle sanding sugar on top.  I do not have this so I opted to make a light glaze to swirl on top after it finished baking.
Place on baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or so.


*Rhubarb version:
Replace 1 cup blueberries with 1 cup chopped rhubarb.  Add a Tbls. or so of sugar and 1 tsp. of vanilla to the rhubarb.  Stir up mixture.  Leave out 1/2 tsp of vanilla that is asked for later in recipe.
This version is LOVED in this house.  When I make the blueberry version I actually hear, "aww not rhubarb?"


You can use regular flour in place of the cake flour.  
Here is a link with nice pictures to show you how.

For this particular recipe you would measure out a 1/2 cup of flour and take out 1 Tbls. from it.  Add back 1 Tbls. of cornstarch and sift it.  I have done this once on Angel Food cake and from what I remember it worked well.

You can add some lemon juice or vinegar to regular milk to give you buttermilk ("sour" milk).


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget