Thursday, June 21, 2012

A few home remedies for some of those annoying itches of summer.

Pin It
My wonderful crew was having a jolly old time playing in the woods.  So many adventures.  So much imagination!  So much fun was had.  Until those dreaded little bumps started to appear.  I am sure you can guess.  Poison ivy.  I can be thankful that no one gets a horrible reaction to it, but it was still quite the nuisance to them.

So as one of my children(who seemed to have it the worse) was itching and itching away.  I did a quick little search on the Internet for some homemade itch relief.  
First I decided to try the oatmeal bath.  
I took some oatmeal and smashed it up a bit.  I had some dried lavender so I added some of that as well(you can pick up some dried lavender at your health store, it's inexpensive and comes in handy lots).  Then smashed it just a bit more.


I placed this mixture into coffee filters and tied it with some string.
My child was watching me make this.  She found it quite humorous that she was going to be taking a bath in oatmeal.  
She had also read a book in school about a boy who had to take a bath in oatmeal and lavender to ease his chicken pox.  She couldn't believe she was going to do something she read about!   


Itchy, Itchy Chicken Pox (Hello Reader!, Level 1)
The boy said lavender stinks, so she assumed so too.  
I assured her it didn't.


I started a bath.  Placing one of these bags in it(preferably away from the faucet).
For good measure and added luxury I added a few drops of lavender oil and some milk. 
If nothing else I figured she'd smell good have have soft skin.

She said it made her feel better and for that I was glad.  Cause now she could go weed the garden without stopping to itch so much : )


Another remedy I found that was easy to whip up was a paste of baking soda and water.
Rub a little on the itchy spots and let dry.  It will fall off once dry and can cause a little mess just to warn you.  My child also said this helped relieve her itchiness.

Paste made of baking soda and water.  

I also added a few drops of lavender to my paste because I had it and it is said lavender can ease an itch.

I love lavender.  It is so versatile and gentle enough to be used on the most sensitive skin(but like most new things you might want to test it out on a patch of your skin, especially if you have sensitive skin).



2 comments:

  1. I couldn't resist commenting. Perfectly written!

    my page; Diet Plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. A person essentially assist to make severely posts I might state.
    That is the first time I frequented your web page and to
    this point? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this
    actual submit incredible. Magnificent process!

    Also visit my web page ... Viarex

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget