Saturday, August 25, 2012

Pesto!

My basil has grown really well this summer.  It was time to take my nice full basil bush and make some pesto.  Pesto is really simple to make and can add SO much flavor to any dish.  
You need:
Extra virgin olive oil
Garlic
Pine Nuts
Parmesan cheese
Lemon juice
and Basil


Exact Amounts for a recipe that should give you 2 cups of pesto
4 cups packed basil leaves
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup of olive oil
6 cloves of garlic
2 T. of lemon juice

This whole process is super simple if you can use a food processor.


Chop up pine nuts, oil, and garlic.


Add basil

Then blend in cheese and lemon juice.

If you aren't going to use the pesto soon.  Freeze in ice cube tray.  When frozen pop out and stick in zip lock bag and stick it back in the freezer to use when needed.


Pin It
When we make homemade pizza I love to make my pizza with pesto instead of pizza sauce.  Add some grilled chicken, MMMMmmmmm!

Another favorite recipe of mine is grilled chicken with pesto spread on top and a slice of melted mozzarella cheese on top.  Served over pasta tossed with lemon....my mouth is watering just thinking of this.  Doesn't help that my hands still have the wonderful smell of garlic and basil : )



My pesto recipe was found on http://www.pickyourown.org/pesto.php.  This is my go to website for anything that has to do with preserving.

The pesto chicken and lemon pasta were inspired from here:



1 comment:

  1. I'm making my pesto today, Emily! Yummy, yummy! Do you toast your pine nuts before chopping them? Also, Chad makes a mean parsley-walnut pesto...maybe I'll post his recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
There was an error in this gadget